Tutor / Kaiako – Educational Services (Corrections)
Tutor / Kaiako – Educational Services Corrections
Casual Reliever to 20 December 2018 - Whanganui
He karanga tēnei ki te hunga e kai ngākau nui ana ki te kaupapa o Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. Mā te hoe kotahi ka haere kotahi atu
Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is working with the Department of Corrections to provide literacy and numeracy support services throughout NZ correctional facilities. Due to internal movement, we invite applications from passionate, professional and energetic individuals for the Relief Kaiako / Tutor positions to provide relief tutoring to cover for kaiako / tutors during periods of absence to ensure continuity of service and delivery of classes to learners.
Relievers are vital positions within our service as they enable continuity of delivery when the regular kaiako are absent due to sickness and other leave periods so we avoid cancellation of classes and disappointment for the learners.
This role involves variety and will call on your expertise as a Tutor as you will be required to relieve for Literacy and Numeracy Support Services and our Te Ara Reo Māori (TARM) classes. Delivery of these services as a Reliever may involve any of the following:
- Delivering assessment with the Literacy and Numeracy for Adults Assessment Tool (Assessment Tool) and interpreting results
- Implementing individual learning plans, ensuring successful completion of unit standards and service requirements
- Presenting material to tauira, responding to tauira learning needs, and evaluating tauira progress
Reporting to the Team Lead, your expertise at establishing and maintaining strong relationships with the Department of Corrections kaimahi, other tertiary providers delivering educational programmes in prisons, and relevant external groups within the region/s will be invaluable.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Implementing Individual Learning Plans and facilitating learning sessions to increase tauira knowledge, skills and competence
- Utilising teaching materials such as handouts and study materials as required to support learning
- Maintaining records of tauira assessment results, attendance registers, progress and feedback
- Delivering assessment with the Assessment Tool and interpreting results
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements including those of the Department of Corrections
You will be working towards, or have already completed, Certificate in Adult Tertiary Teaching, the National Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education (NCALNE) (Level 5) or the New Zealand Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education (NZCALNE) and NZQA unit standard 4098, 11281 & 18203 and have fluency in Te Reo.
A minimum of 2 years’ experience successfully delivering classes to at risk or second chance learners is essential and delivering Literacy and Numeracy and TARM training in the prison context is a distinct advantage.
As the successful candidate you will be required to pass a stringent Police check to enable access to corrections facilities and complete the Department of Corrections on site induction in addition to the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa induction process.
A full NZ Driver’s License (Class 1) is essential and a moderate level of fitness is required.
Enquiries to 0800 777 404
Applications close: 3 June 2018
Casual No Fixed Hours - Timesheet
Job no: 18THO049A
Closing Date: Sunday, 3 June 2018