Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Kaiako (Tutor) Literacy & Numeracy Support Services
Tutor / Kaiako – Literacy & Numeracy Support Services
Position Location Waikeria Correctional Facility
Part time 18.75 hours per week
Fixed Term to 18 December 2020
- Are you passionate about second chance learners and providing opportunities to learn?
- Do you have an energy that is infectious, and an ability to genuinely connect with people?
- Can you establish connectedness and pathways between learners and the vision of a future?
Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has been providing exceptional value for more than 30 years to students and communities across New Zealand. We are New Zealand’s second largest tertiary provider, dedicated to whānau transformation through education and we are utilising our expertise to work with the Department of Corrections to provide literacy and numeracy support services throughout NZ correctional facilities. We invite applications from passionate, professional and energetic individuals for the part time Tutor/Kaiako position.
About the role:
The primary function of the Kaiako is to deliver Literacy & Numeracy Support Services (LNSS) within the Prison environment. Delivery of these services aims to support inmate learners to gain appropriate literacy, numeracy, life and vocational skills to enable them to pathway into further education.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Developing Individual Learning Plans lesson plans
- Facilitating learning sessions to increase tauira knowledge, skills and competence
- Developing teaching materials such as handouts and study materials as required to support learning
- Communicating the LNSS vision, goals and plans both internally and externally
- Maintaining records of tauira assessment results, attendance registers, progress and feedback
- Delivering assessment with the LNAAT and interpreting results
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements including those of the Department of Corrections
What you need:
Reporting to the Team Lead, your proficiency at establishing and maintaining strong relationships with Department of Corrections’ kaimahi, other tertiary providers delivering educational programmes in prisons, and relevant external groups within the region/s will be invaluable.
In addition, you will require:
- A formal adult learning and training qualification(s)
- The National Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education (Vocational) (level 5)
- Unit standards 4098, 11281 & 18203 or equivalence, or willing to gain these during employment
- A full NZ Driver’s License (Class 1) and a basic level of physical fitness
- The ability to pass a stringent Police check to enable access to corrections facilities
You will ideally have 2+ years’ experience in successfully delivering Literacy and Numeracy training to at risk or second chance learners preferably in the tertiary education sector or prison environment with up to date knowledge and current experience with adult teaching.
Please register and apply on our Jobs Site: https://twoa.careercentre.net.nz/.
Please send enquiries to email@example.com
Applications close: 1 March 2020
Fixed Term Part-time
Job no: 19THO173
Closing Date: Sunday, 1 March 2020